Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thing 20 - Libraries and Social Networks

Let me begin by professing that I am proud of my liberal views. However, when it comes to MySpace and Facebook, my liberal views seem to take a back seat. My experience with these two sites has been as a father and through my role as overseeing district wide media. Fortunately, my experiences as a father have been positive. I discussed both apps with my daughter and we set up the accounts together. She becomes a little frustrated as I view her accounts. As she is approaching the age of 18, it will be soon up to her to continue making responsible decisions. On the work side, my experiences with these apps has not been as positive. Often I work with police on activity that could be criminal or on students that have set up factious accounts to discredit a teacher.
I understand the value of social networking. However, I truly believe that there are other tools or applications that will serve this purpose better than these two applications. Personally, I hesitate communicating through these vehicles due to the abuses that I have seen first hand. Maybe I have to remember the good interaction that my daughter has experienced and have to find my liberal hat and get back into this century.

1 comment:

PatriciaP said...

don't be too hard on yourself....your concerns are somewhat legitimate.